More geodes done with the coffeepot dye method. This time I used dry dye and soda ash mix on dry shirts. I think I prefer dying like this on damp shirts. It seems that the dye sticks to the cloth a little better and the colors flow and blend a little easier. I especially like the way the brown and turquoise on the third shirt blended into a nice teal color. I will remember that when mixing colors in the future. I also need to tighten up the sinew a little more. I would like to get more defined lines. So it goes. Message me if you are interested in one of these.
New experiments: Shirts folded dry, slightly damped, a mix of dry dye and soda ash applied, placed on an inclined rack in the sink, and drenched with boiling water (The Coffeepot Method) allowed to cool and washed out. Dyes used were Custom Colors fuschia, yellow, blue, and black.
Conclusions: No so sure yet I like this. Maybe because I did not use enough dry dye. Color saturation is not what I would like for it to be and I am not sure about whether or not the colors will fade with washing, although they were put through a cold wash after rinsing. Some people soak in white vinegar afterward to help set the colors. I may try it and see what I think.
I like liquid dyes with urea for deep, saturated colors but they don’t break and blend the way dry dyes do. The breaking allows for watercolor effects and are always a surprise. The Geode shirt is from black dye breaking into blue. the DNA was done with three primary colors and is a good example of how dry dyes break and blend.
Hmmmmm. . . . ponder, ponder, ponder. . . .
Left to right; Pink Geodes is Fruit of the Loom adult 3 X, DNA is the same, Flowerfold is 2x. $35, free shipping. Holler if you want one.