These were experiments on several different levels:
- Primary colors from Custom Colors; Yellow #104, Turquoise # 417, and Scarlet #218. I like to mix my own colors, often on the garment itself, and I wanted to see how these three would act together. I think in the future I may swap fuchsia for scarlet if I am using turquoise in the mix because I think it would make a better purple and the colors would work better together. I like the scarlet but I think I will pair it with a darker blue next time.
- FWIW, I am not fond of spirals centered in the middle of the chest. It reminds me too much of target practice, so I like to offset mine. Sometimes it works, sometimes not so much. The spoked looking fanfold is a new one I learned. I want to do more of them
- I have most often used liquid dyes on a presoaked shirt. This time the shirts were just dampened for easier folding. I mixed soda ash to dry powder in a 2:1 ratio and applied it dry on top of the shirt. I used a plastic spoon to apply the dye and did not have as much control as I liked. Other dyers us syringes and paint brushes with dry dyes. I might try that in the future.
- I dumped ice on top of everything after putting them on racks and into plastic containers. Then they cooked in my solar oven for a couple of days. It was cool and rainy and took longer to heat up than usual. Then the ice melted, overflowed the containers, and the solar oven peed all over the driveway and garage. It is time for new containers anyway. Mine are old and cracking and my racks are rusting.
I am not so sure it I am going to continue with this technique or not. I like mixing SA with dry dye and not needing urea. Mixing my own colors works better with liquid dye than with dry, but who knows where I will go with that. The CC dyes are bright and vivid and work well. They are a company near where I live. Dave, the guy who runs it, is great to work with, and shipping is free for orders over $35 if I don’t have the time to drive for 2 hours to get there. My orders usually arrive the next day, two days at the very latest.
Just last night I learned of a new techniques involving dry dye, hot water, and aquarium pumps. The results I have seen on-line are gorgeous and they say you can finish a shirt in 2 hours instead of 2 days. I am itching to try it. It’s too bad I have to do things like clean up after myself and eat or I would have already been out in the studio playing with it.
These shirts are adult sized mediums by Fruit of the Loom. If anyone would like one send me a message.